In celebration of National Hamburger Day on May 28, 2014 what a better way to have a nutritional Monday post! Since most of you will be grilling out on Memorial Day as well, we decided to give you 5 simple recipes to eat a healthier hamburger.
1. Greek Feta Beef Burger¹
Makes 4 Burgers
- 6 oz nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 4 oz hothouse cucumbers (unpeeled), coarsely grated (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 clove garlic, crushed to a paste
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 lb lean ground beef (93 percent or 95 percent lean)
- 4 oz zucchini, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta
- 1/3 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 jar (7 oz) roasted red peppers, drained
- 4 sourdough rolls, split
- Shredded romaine (optional)
- Sliced cucumber (optional)
In a bowl, combine yogurt, cucumbers, garlic and juice; set aside. In another bowl, mix beef, zucchini, feta, onion, marjoram, salt and pepper. Form beef mixture into four 3/4-inch-thick patties. Coat a grill pan or grill rack with cooking spray. Grill patties over medium-high heat, flipping once, about 5 minutes each side, until internal temperature reaches 160°. Divide roasted peppers evenly among bottom roll halves; top with 1 burger, 1/4 yogurt sauce and lettuce and cucumber, if desired. Top each with other half of roll.
Condiments deliver flavor but often a lot of calories. A light yogurt sauce supplies healthy zip.